Kambal Bloxham's Experience as a COP25 Youth Delegate


Written by Kambal Bloxham 


I am a Bachelor of Nursing Student at Mount Royal University in Calgary.  

In December of this year, a group of delegates traveled to the Conference of the Parties (COP25) in Madrid. While I was there I had the opportunity to witness and learn from a wide range of experts on the climate and the planet. While at the conference I focused on the impact that the climate has on our health and the impact our health care system has on the planet.  At the conference, I also had the privilege of sitting in on the negotiations where the different parties were trying to come to an agreement on Article 6; the last outstanding component of the Paris agreement. In this discussion, it became very clear to me why it is so challenging for agreements like this to come to fruition.  Even the semantics of one word can determine the success of a negotiation.  

I was also very fortunate while in Spain to have the opportunity to connect with a group of students from around the world, working with the Center for Global Education (who I had been volunteering with before this opportunity). This incredible experience with UNA-Canada Service Corps has given me a greater perspective and understanding of the complexities of international relations. In addition to this, I have also learned information that I am able to apply directly to my degree to help further my studies. In the end, this has been an absolutely incredible experience.  I am so grateful for the opportunity and all the learning that has come from it.    

Comments