Sarah at UNICEF HQ pt. 1

This is the first in a series that will chronicle Sarah's journey as a JPC with UNICEF's Corporate Social Responsibility Unit. Enjoy!


Confessions of an International Development Worker (wannabe)
I tend, or at least try to be very honest. This could be considered a positive attribute under many circumstances, but when it comes to interviewing, perhaps being very honest is not always the best policy. I was once instructed to express all of my best qualities without personal criticism during interviews, as my interviewer would provide all and more of the necessary criticism I could ever desire.  I have taken this advice to heart approaching the world of employment, to my benefit, I believe. Interviewing for the United Nations, for me, was the big leagues. I had decided that the UN would be a place where I did not want to oversell my abilities. I wanted to be honest when asked about my skill set- I wanted to speak to my strengths and to my weakness truthfully. Fifteen minutes to call time, and I was having trouble identifying strengths, and experiencing little issue sputtering out weaknesses.
In 2004, I discovered the CIDA webpage, and every couple of days for the next couple of years, I would scour the volunteer, internship and employment opportunities- hoping to find a spot where my passions and skills would meet. In 2004, I was completing an English degree at Saint Francis Xavier University, and was worlds away from Executive Director for the Red Cross…to my disappointment. In 2007 I found the UNPP website, and I set my sights on a new goal, I would get a Master’s degree and I would become Executive Director of the Red Cross….errr…a fellow for the United Nations Professional Programme. Over the next couple of years, life would throw me a number of curve balls rerouting my master plan, but all the while strengthening my person. Spring of 2012 I graduated from my program obtaining a MA in International Development, with a focus on Urban Studies. This past spring I was invited to join Canada’s UN professional placement programme, which brings us to my placement interview.
With confidence my skills, my experiences and my passion, and of course my master plan, I counted down the moments leading to the long-awaited phone call.  My interviewer inquired about my experience, my interests, and then of course, as expected, my strengths and weaknesses.  I confidently stated  my strengths. As for my weaknesses, well I confessed that I would not name research and writing among my strengths; however I wouldn’t consider them weaknesses.  After being so honest, I had a moment of panic, and added, “But I learn quickly!”  then feeling like I had perhaps really blown it, I decided to throw all caution to the wind and ask some questions myself.  I inquired, “If you were me, why would you want this position?” My interviewer graciously explained a number of reasons why and how this position would provide opportunities for learning and professional development.  Then something amazing happened, my interviewer leveled with me, and shared her personal journey with the UN. It was an incredibly authentic exchange, an exchange removed from policy and procedure and one within which I found great comfort.  A week later, I was invited to join UNICEF’s global headquarters in New York City, supporting the work of the Corporate Social Responsibility department. This surprised me in ways this little blog cannot express.
 I have now been in my position one full month, and understand more clearly the role and purpose of the UNPP.  As a participant, I am offering my talents and time as an investment in UNICEF and my future, and I would now argue that UNICEF is doing the same. Through this position I am being formed, and so too is the future of this international organization.  I had not considered the reciprocal nature of this placement, and the spaces which would be offered for learning. I expected that I would be required to enter the picture fully equipped, without weakness. As we have all learned from my interviewing honesty, this is thankfully not the case. I am excited to see where this all leads, and to identify in the end, the capacity which has been built within me. Perhaps I will be able to identify research as strength…well I suppose I best not get ahead of myself. J

Comments