Lissette in Peru


This week we received an update from Lissette, our JPC working in Peru.

I was placed in Peru as a Junior Professional Consultant with UNICEF. I've been working in the area of Communication for Development (C4D) on the Water, Sanitation and Environmental Sustainability Strategy in the Amazons. My work in the Water, Sanitation and Environmental Sustainability strategy in C4D has brought me to two different Amazonian regions, Loreto and Amazonas and to more than 10 flooding-prone communities and half of those being indigenous. There, we listened to the beliefs, values and realities of parents, children, local government officials, teachers, health personnel, and the community leaders linked to our strategy. After each focus groups and interviews, we identified problems impeding those communities inability to have access to clean water that have pushed them to use the contaminated river water. Consequently, the consumption of this contaminated water leads to an increase of parasitic diseases, malnutrition, chronic health problems in children and in some cases, death. In identifying the problems, we are currently proposing and implementing solutions to combat these issues.

Since I started my internship at UNICEF Peru, I've felt a significant development in my professional skills. I can concretely identify three professional skills which have significantly improved: teamwork skills, public speaking in Spanish, and analytical skills. In the beginning it was difficult understanding technical concepts in Spanish at UNICEF. It was a challenge. However, with the support of my colleagues I was able to receive clarifications. With this practice, I've significantly improved my Spanish over the course of the year.  Also due to the nature of my work, I've had the opportunity to enhance my teamwork skills through the exchange of ideas, division of workload and providing constructive and positive feedback to one another. In addition, my confidence in public speaking in Spanish has significantly increased, as I have had to present proposals to improve the quality of water and environment to Amazonian communities.

The development of our Water, Sanitation and Environmental Sustainability strategy has progressed to a fair amount due to my arrival. Due to this IDDIP internship at UNICEF Peru my stay has been extended. I used this opportunity to put in more hard work and energy to contribute to the improvement of the lives of the most marginalized and isolated children of Peru. Most importantly, I have experienced and witnessed the most austere living conditions of children in the most marginalized communities; conditions which impede not only their progress and development, but consequently, that of the country as well.

This UNICEF internship opportunity, granted by the IDDIP program, has allowed me to achieve a dream of mine i.e. to work towards the well-being of the most vulnerable, marginalized and impoverished children of Peru. To have interned in the IDDIP program and work in international development has significantly improved my professional skills and abilities. I have not only had incredible experiences such as working with and for Amazonian communities on the topic of Water, Sanitation and Environmental Sustainability, but I was invited to attend the World Bank and IMF Annual Meetings in Lima, capacity-building workshops organized by UN Aids, UN Women, and the UNDP. I have also attended meetings with local, regional and national government bodies.The opportunity granted to me by the UNAC was not simply an internship, it was a life-changing experience, one which led me to my dream job in UNICEF Peru. 

 

Comments