REFLECTIONS FROM RWANDA: EXPERIENCE GENDER EQUALITY WORK WITH DESIREE




REFLECTIONS FROM RWANDA: EXPERIENCE GENDER EQUALITY WORK WITH DESIREE

Written by Desiree

This past summer, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to travel to Kigali, Rwanda to participate in UNAC’s International Development & Diplomacy Internship Programme. My role in Kigali was as a Gender Officer with the United Nations Development Programme. Many people may not realize that Rwanda is one of the most gender-equitable countries in the world, ranked number five globally for its efforts in reducing gender disparities, according to the World Economic Forum’s Global Gender GapIndex. The UNDP Country Office in Rwanda plays a large role in these efforts, and is similarly making working toward mainstreaming gender into its programming and everyday operations.



My position as Gender Officer first and foremost had me supporting the office in its efforts to achieve Gold Certification in its upcoming UNDP Gender Seal Appraisal Mission (which we did!). This was a huge achievement, as it recognized the office’s transforming work toward gender equality, and I was so proud and happy to be a part of that mission! In addition to this task, I built my skill set in a number of different areas, including writing briefing packages, grant proposals, concept notes, as well as collaborating with a number of diverse stakeholders. It also offered me the opportunity to visit a refugee camp for World Environment Day; observe training of volunteers for the presidential elections; and attend the inaugural YouthConnekt Africa summit. 

Working at the UNDP also allowed me the incredible opportunity to work alongside some truly brilliant individuals from around the world. For example, I spent much of the summer working directly with the Country Director. Even if I hadn’t had the amazing experience I did, participating in the JPC program would have been worth it simply for the amazing connections and networking opportunities! 


In addition to getting to be a part of the UNDP, on the weekends I was able to travel throughout Rwanda, and even explore some other areas of East Africa (along with getting to do some very cool birdwatching). I got to do a canopy walk in the rainforest in Rwanda, go on a safari in Maasai Mara, feed a giraffe and pet an elephant in Nairobi, and canoe in the second deepest lake in Africa in Uganda. I would not have had any of these unbelievable experiences without the IDDIP; thank you UNAC!

Comments

  1. it contains a lot of useful information to read, maybe everyone will like me. I hope this post of yours will be more appreciated by it really excellent, i enjoyed it, thanks for posting it.
    jogos 4 school
    friv for school free Games
    a10 games

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment