Luca Loggia's Internship at UNODC Myanmar


Written by Luca Loggia


Luca Loggia's Internship at UNODC Myanmar

Written by Luca Loggia

It is hard to imagine that four months has passed since I capped my final year of my undergraduate studies at McGill University. It is even more difficult to imagine that 3 months have gone by since I boarded a plane to Yangon, Myanmar, to start my internship with the United Nations Office on Drugs & Crime (UNODC) as a junior professional consultant. Time flies!

As a junior professional consultant, I have been tasked with carrying out research on gender-mainstreaming security sector reform, and drafting overviews of our activities in different areas: transnational crime, anti-corruption, criminal justice reform, drugs and health, and alternative development. More recently, my responsibilities have included creating a project proposal to enhance anti-corruption awareness among youth, and drafting an office sustainability plan.

High-level Forums: Nay Pyi Taw & Yangon

During my internship, I had the opportunity to join UNODC’s delegation to two separate high-level events attended by policy-makers, UN officials, media and civil society. In early July, I was asked to join the delegation in Nay Pyi Taw to takes notes for the agency during the day-long symposium on justice sector responses to violence against women and children. It was a unique experience insofar as I was not only responsible for note-taking, but I also drafted the UNODC representative’s speech presented to the 100 attendees. Later that month, I also had the opportunity to attend a workshop organised by the UNODC for the Ministry of Border Affairs on understanding gender-based violence.




















The IDDIP: Helping me Pave a way Forward

When I first arrived in Yangon in April, I was confident that I would be able to gain a lot from my experience. Three months in, thanks to my supervisor’s mentorship, not only have I honed my multi-tasking and research skills; I have also improved my ability to quickly problem-solve and effectively manage my time (as a notorious procrastinator in Montreal, that is saying a lot). Being an aspiring academic and diplomat, I have no doubt this experience provided by UNAC’s IDDIP will help me in my future projects for years to come.



I look forward to sharing more about my experience in the short future. Until then, kayo sé-bi twa (farewell).