Reflecting on COP24 - Jasveen Brar





UNA-Canada was at COP24 and this is the third blog of a series covering the Conference. 
Follow us: @UNACanada 

Friday,  January 4th, 2019



It has been a little over three weeks since we returned from our whirlwind of an adventure, in Katowice, Poland, where we attended COP24 . Each day at COP was a new and exciting experience. From sessions about climate education and finance to panels with ministers and youth creating positive change, it was an eye opening and educational week.

Prior to the negotiations the IPCC report was released that explained that without action to curve down our current CO2 emissions, we will observe catastrophic impacts in about 12 years. This was a lot to process heading into these negotiations. I think that living in a place such as Canada, it can be difficult to conceptualize the reality of the situation. It was through the side sessions and conversations with people from around the world who are facing these problems in their countries that I was reminded of the consequences of our actions, and the importance to be more ambitious than ever. In these side sessions we listened to and spoke with ministers, organizations, researchers and activists on how they combat climate change in their every day lives, and the successes that they are seeing. It was in these moments that I was reminded of the importance of grassroots movements and why our actions matter – even all the way around the world.  

There are many moments that stick out to me from our week at COP24, meeting ministers and sitting in on meetings, having conversations with Elizabeth May, being on my first COP panel! However, my highlight would have to be the Young Women Leading on Climate: A Canadian Panel Discussion that we attended. It was so inspiring and moving to hear stories about what motivates my peers, the obstacles they have faced and how they overcame them.  It was in session such as that when I felt most empowered and hopeful.



Overall, the negotiations were both challenging and inspiring. I am truly so humbled to have been selected for this opportunity, to be have been a voice for Canadian youth. I believe that it is immersive experiences such as these that have a lasting impact for youth. It is my hope that in the years to come, youth will have a larger presence in spaces such as these. This would not have been possible without the efforts and support from UNA-Canada. In the weeks and months to come I know that I will still be processing what I did and what I learnt. I look forward to meaningful conversations and hope to engage and support youth in this field.

Sincerely, 

Jasveen 


Jasveen Brar is from Medicine Hat, AB.  Jasveen is a  Canada Service Corps  volunteer with the Ocean Wise program, Ocean Bridge, where she engaged youth from across Canada on numerous ocean health and literacy initiatives.  She was in Katowice, Poland attending COP24 with UNA-Canada as a UNA-Canada Service Corps delegate.


Comments