Qasim Reflects on his Fieldwork in Galu, Uganda

Written by Qasim Khanani 

It was a new project, one in which I would have a significant contribution and utilize my skill set. 3 graduates were coming from New York University to conduct research on affordable housing in Uganda. I was responsible to alter their questions in the Ugandan context, considering I had been living in Uganda for 4 months now.


Finally, the graduates arrived in Kampala, Uganda and the first thing I did was take them to the ministry of lands, urban housing and development and acquainted them with the minister and the staff present, as that is whom they would be closely working with. The next few days went by like a blur with the 10-hour work day and multiple meetings collecting data. I was responsible for coordinating the transport and meetings as well as debriefings at the end of the day.

After a week in Kampala, we moved towards Gulu (a northern city in Uganda) where the affordable housing project would be implemented. I was able to leverage my connections and book meetings with the relevant government stakeholders in the city. It was time to take a field visit to the slums to understand ground reality. Coming from Canada, I was shocked and disturbed to see how people live without electricity, internet and safe housing.

Fortunately, UNA Canada had given me a good pre-departure briefing and I was able to keep an eye on the silver lining. My passion increased exponentially as I saw how my work can make such a difference in so many peoples lives and just reflecting on my blessings truly made me want to work harder than ever.
Upon concluding the field trip in Gulu, it was time to travel back to Kampala and consolidate the data collected to make a presentation to many top government officials on the preliminary findings and recommendations. On a lighter note, I found a technical side of myself when I fixed the projector, which had randomly stopped working hours before the presentation was due. The presentation itself was a success which received thunderous applause by the audience including myself. I subtly patted myself on the back as well and boasted a big smile on my face for the remainder of the day.


Comments