Culture Shock- Learning about Ubuntu: Marko De Guzman’s Reflection


Culture Shock- Learning about Ubuntu: Marko De Guzman’s Reflection
Written by Marko De Guzman, UNDP, Uganda

Have you ever been asked intensely how your sleep went last night? Have you had to say “hi (name here), how are you?” to every person you work with in your office? Have you ever seen staff chatting during work hours, which may seem like gossiping, but in reality they are genuinely curious about how and what they can do for the other person? Well wonder no more.  This is my first week in Africa. I got frustrated because don’t understand the nuance behind all these“performances.” then I thought I was experiencing cultural shock. I pointed all these mannerisms to my supervisor who enlighten me on what is really at play in all these circumstances.  Ubuntu- I Am Because We Are. This is what was going on in all these interactions. Africans genuinely care how I am doing. As someone from the West, I would normally just say “I’m good, thanks”
and move on. Yet, in Africa, this question deserves more space to answer. One does not live in isolation. When I was asked how I slept last night, the
person who asked me the question wanted to know to offer help because
community, connection and caring matter in this part of the world. 

I realized I do not know much about African’s philosophy, even more so, the origin of Ubuntu. So I did some research: Ubuntu’s powerful meaning comes with a dark history. The ancient African concept was adapted into a philosophy in post-apartheid South Africa, a place that is still recovering from a long period of political, economic, and cultural turmoil that left highly divided and unequal social systems. The philosophy developed as a way to overcome these tensions plaguing the society. By focusing on the humanness of each individual, whether victims or perpetrators, South Africans aim to come closer to creating a democratic country. As South African social rights activist and Archbishop Desmond Tutu explained, “My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together.” He understands that the potential of human beings working collectively to achieve goals is infinitely greater than the potential. of any individual. From Robb, Carly. 2017. “Ubuntu: I Am Because You Are – Thrive Global.” Retrieved from https://medium.com/thrive-global/ubuntu-i-am-because-you-are-66efa03f2682

This week has challenged me to see the world in this new perspective. My individualistic upbringing cannot thrive in collectivistic culture.

As Nelson Mandela described in 2006:
“A traveler through a country would stop at a village and he didn’t have to ask for food or for water. Once he stops, the people give him food, entertain him. That is one aspect of Ubuntu, but it will have various aspects. Ubuntu does not mean that people should not enrich themselves. The question therefore is: Are you going to do so in order to enable the community around you to be able to improve?” Oppenheim, Claire E. “Nelson Mandela and the Power of Ubuntu.” MDPI. Molecular Diversity Preservation International, 26 Apr. 2012. Web. 10 Mar. 2017.
Anyway, this is where I am right now. I had to adjust to this cultural shock I’ve experienced and remind myself of Ubuntu philosophy at work. So far, I’ve drafted foreword for UN’s Resident Representative (similar to an Ambassador), reviewed 6 research papers, revised and written concept papers, wrote briefs for Resident Representative meetings, wrote a Benchmarking Plan for a visit to the Philippines, shared my research paper, attended workshops, briefings, meetings, partied like a Ugandan until 5 am in the morning, and eat Chapati, matoke, and other Ugandan food.

I am missing my comfortable life, my family, and my friends in Canada, but I am content to be here. I guess, this ends here. Until next time!

Comments

  1. Invest with 200$ and get a returns of 5,000$ within seven business working days.
    Why wasting your precious time online looking for a loan? When there is an opportunity for you to invest with 200$ and get a returns of 5,000$ within seven business working days. Contact us now for more information if interested on how you can earn big with just little amount. This is all about investing into Crude Oil and Gas Business.

    Email: investmoneyoilgas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. URGENT LOAN OFFER WITH 3% INTEREST RATE APPLY TODAY.
      Do you need finance to start up your own business or expand your business, Do you need funds to pay off your debt? We give out loan to interested individuals and company's who are seeking loan with good faith. Are you seriously in need of an urgent loan contact us.
      Email: aabidullahaameen62@gmail.com

      LOAN APPLICATION DETAILS.
      First Name:
      Last Name:
      Date Of Birth:
      Address:
      Sex:
      Phone No:
      City:
      Zip Code:
      State:
      Country:
      Nationality:
      Occupation:
      Monthly Income:
      Loan Amount:
      Loan Duration:
      Purpose of the loan:
      Email: aabidullahaameen62@gmail.com


      URGENT LOAN OFFER WITH 3% INTEREST RATE APPLY TODAY.
      Do you need finance to start up your own business or expand your business, Do you need funds to pay off your debt? We give out loan to interested individuals and company's who are seeking loan with good faith. Are you seriously in need of an urgent loan contact us.
      Email: aabidullahaameen62@gmail.com

      LOAN APPLICATION DETAILS.
      First Name:
      Last Name:
      Date Of Birth:
      Address:
      Sex:
      Phone No:
      City:
      Zip Code:
      State:
      Country:
      Nationality:
      Occupation:
      Monthly Income:
      Loan Amount:
      Loan Duration:
      Purpose of the loan:
      Email: aabidullahaameen62@gmail.com

      Delete

Post a Comment