Muhammad Khan's Journey at UNDP Indonesia



Muhammad Khan's Journey at UNDP Indonesia


My name is Moe Khan and I am currently working with UNDP Indonesia in Jakarta. Originally from Edmonton, Canada; I am away from home in the tropics of the Indian Ocean. My position is working within the Quality Assurance and Result Evaluation unit, specializing in the Gender Analysis of each project that UNDP is a part of. This is an opportunity of a lifetime for me, in a country where I apply my skills in Gender Studies and IR to various multidimensional projects based on climate change, sustainable development and prevention. My position is unique because it over-arches many fields rather than being restricted to one, which challenges me to recognize how gender is applied in each of the project scenarios mentioned above. 


So far, my experience has been all over the place. The UNDP specializes in a fast work environment that is extremely focused on project delivery and result-based analysis. Therefore, there is never a dull moment in the office and there is always a ton of work to complete; this is exactly what makes the work so interesting. The fast pace environment and the consistent arrival of new projects allows me to think of new and creative ways to approach the work and it never gets repetitive. One of the most incredible projects I have participated in is the gender mainstreaming in the Prevention of Violent Extremism, which is working together with an NGO called Indika Foundation. More specifically, they are working with local at-risk youth and promoting tolerance and diversity by engaging former members of terrorist organizations. This is something that is applicable globally, hence why I am so excited to see the outcome of this project in the near future. 

If you asked me in June where I would be in two months, I would not have even guessed that I would be working for the UN in the tropics. But that is exactly where I am; it is so unbelievable and rewarding. Not only am I having a great time but I am also ensure the advancement of my career in international development. 

Comments