A post from 1 of 4 Self-Funded JPCs now in Zimbabwe

Victoria Falls
Post and photos by Mitchell, JPC with UNDP Zimbabwe:
It is such an exciting time to be in Zimbabwe.  With the recently passed constitution, there is an underlying excitement among Zimbabweans that their country is on the right path.  As a development worker, I feel blessed to be able to see first-hand the dynamics of change going on right now in Zimbabwe. 

I am currently splitting my time between UNDP Operations and the Global Fund.  My work in Operations is mostly concerned with transportation and logistics, and it’s been a great opportunity to understand how programme objectives and projects are realized in the field.  My work with the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Malaria and Tuberculosis requires me to interact with many Zimbabwe-based NGOs that are working with the Global Fund to improve education about and treatment of HIV/AIDS, Malaria and TB.

Over the course of my placement here, I have been given significant responsibility of multiple projects, and I have been welcomed as an important part of the team.  I have gained so much from this experience, and it has most certainly been a boost to my career development.

Of course, this placement has also been an excellent opportunity to travel and see all of the beauty that Africa has on display.  I’ve boated on the Zambezi River, gotten soaked while admiring Victoria Falls, gotten close enough to touch wild elephants in Chobe National Park in Botswana, seen Zimbabwe from the World’s View in Nyanga, and there’s still so much more that I plan on seeing before I leave!

Comments