Kristen Shares Her Amazing Experience in Rwanda

I was placed in Kigali, Rwanda as a JPC in communications for the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). Rwanda is one of the pilot countries for the Delivering as One (DaO) programme, which unites UN Agencies in the country for a more effective and coherent response to the needs of the Government of Rwanda. I had the added experience of supporting both UNDP and the One UN, allowing me to collaborate on projects with multiple agencies such as UNICEF and UNWomen.
Day-to-day, I supported business development through maintaining UNDP Rwanda’s visibility and image, resource mobilization, media outreach, and the effective implementation of the Communication Strategy. I also maintained and monitored the UNDP website and social media, in addition to being the primary writer of press releases, media advisories, and success and news stories for UNDP Rwanda. Some of this work carried over in support of the One UN via a communications group (UNCG) for which I was the secretariat. In this capacity I had the exciting opportunity to cover landmark events such as the UN Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth’s visit to Rwanda, a conference bringing together police, military, and security officials from 30 Africans countries to prevent gender based violence, the launch of UNWomen’s HeForShe campaign in the country, and more.
Prior to beginning the placement, development was something that generally interested me. However, I had no tangible experience of it to know for sure. In my first few weeks on the job I faced a few challenges that were mostly logistical, or protocol related, largely due to my unfamiliarity with the UN system. Nevertheless, the team of staff and UN Volunteers committed to the UN mission were integral to my learning and growth on the job. If I had a concern or a question, colleagues would do what they could to address it. Effective and strategic communication was integral to responding to the challenges I faced, and in becoming an active member of the Rwanda CO.

Reflecting on the six months I spent working in Rwanda, I would consider it a huge personal and professional success, and an honor to work with such incredible people. One aspect of the placement that raised the experience for me was the level and capacity of work. While at times it may have felt overwhelming, there was always something for me to do. At the Rwanda office, my supervisors understood the JPC’s overarching goal of advancing their career and expanding upon their professional experience. My supervisor incorporated this into my work plan, challenging me with projects and tasks that played to my strengths and expanded my experience. Not only this, but I was also provided with opportunities to diversify my skills and increase my employability. Being given the opportunity to complete meaningful work and see that I was making an impact on the work of the agency, and know that I was filling a need gap for the CO, made this an incredibly rewarding experience.

The IDDI-Programme also helped me clarify the kind of opportunities I would like to pursue as I grow my career. Going on field visits, one-on-one exposure to high level UN personnel, and being given the lead on meaningful projects provided me with unique exposure that helped tailor my professional interests. In future assignments, I would like to focus on the programming aspect of development, rather than solely communications. The internship helped me narrow down my area of interest while developing skills employers look for, all under the renowned UN brand.
Though the placement is the core part of the program, the added ability to travel and meet new people was a highlight of the program. Some of my favorite memories are from traveling to Uganda on weekends, hiking in Volcanoes National Park, going on my first safari, and spending a week in Tanzania at the end of my placement. IDDIP was a cultural experience in addition to a professional one, and opened my mind to an exciting part of the world.  

Now that I’m back home, I am working as a Special Assistant to Senator Grant Mitchell, in the Senate of Canada. My experience at UNDP Rwanda equipped me with the professional foundation to succeed in my new role. In addition to the weight associated with having work experience with the UN, the program expanded my skill base which has allowed me to qualify for a larger set of jobs in government and beyond. My experience with the Rwanda CO is highly positive, and I am undoubtedly satisfied by the investment I made with the program and UNDP Rwanda as a result.

 

Comments