A Day in the Life of Stephen Clare: Kigali Edition

Written by Stephen Clare




A Day in the Life of Stephen Clare: Kigali Edition

                                                              By Stephen Clare

0700 I’m woken up by the clamor of squawks, screeches, coos, and clucks from the squadron of birds that roost in the tree outside my window. It’s early but I can also hear music playing, insects buzzing, and our house guard singing to himself in the garden. Just another day in Kigali.

0730 Before venturing out to get some eggs I peek through the window, looking for the chicken. She’s cunning, and pure evil. Though I don’t see her right now, she’s been known to come running to defend her eggs, clucking ferociously. Plus she likes to poop on the mat by the front door.

0815 The best, and realistically only, way I can get to work is by hailing one of the city’s countless motorcycle taxis. There’s a guy waiting outside, and after some awkward haggling he hands me a helmet, I jump on the back, and we roar off to join the riverine flow of Kigali traffic. My commute is one of the day’s highlights. Between the howling wind and the harsh growl of the engine below me, it’s in this moment that I really feel like I’m on an adventure. In fact, it’s a lot like a dream I once had, except in the dream I was driving, and also I was with Scarlet Johansson instead of a 50 year old Rwandan man who only speaks Kinyarwanda.




1030 I’m in my office when my supervisor pokes his head in the door. “Let’s go,” he says.
“What?” I ask.
“Let’s go!”
“Where?”
“To the meeting. Come on, we’re going to be late.”
I’m not sure where this meeting is, who it’s with, or what it’s about. But this doesn’t bother me, as since moving to Rwanda I’ve gotten used to living in a constant state of bemused confusion. I shrug and follow the boss outside.

1105 While we do arrive late to the meeting, everyone else is even later and the boardroom is still empty. I grab a chair at the big table in the middle and start thinking about motorcycles and Scarlett Johansson.
“Ah, Mr. Minister,” says my supervisor.
I flash him a confused look. He nods at the table in front of me where there’s a nameplate. “Oh,” I say.
I turn it around. MINISTER OF YOUTH, it reads.
“OH,” I say again.
My boss chuckles as I evacuate the chair and retreat to a low stool in the back corner.

1130 Eventually the Minister of Youth joins us, along with another national Minister, some more officials, the head of the UN in Rwanda, and the head of my UN department. I sit in the corner and try not to make any noise or funny facial expressions. I’ve only been in Rwanda for two weeks, and this is the kind of company I find myself keeping. I could tell you what happened in the meeting, but then I’d have to kill you.

1230 Afterwards, my team grabs lunch in the UNDP canteen. We eat capati (a kind of chewy tortilla) and corn muffins with sliced avocados. So many avocados. They’re the size of coconuts and they’re everywhere. Yesterday, heading up the highway on the way to work, even my moto driver tried to sell some.



1500 The afternoon thunderstorm rolls in. Black clouds extinguish the sun and all of a sudden it’s dark enough that we have to turn on the lights in the office. The rain starts bucketing down. The streets empty. You can see all the moto drivers huddling under bus stop shelters and gas station awnings. After 20 minutes of torrential downpour, it stops as if the taps were turned off and the sun reappears. If it weren’t for the water streaming down the gutters beside the road, you would never have guessed there was a storm.


1730 As it dips behind the hills of Kigali, the sun glows warm and orange like an ember in a dying campfire. Because the air is filled with smoke and dust, it sometimes feels like you’re seeing the world through an eerie red filter. Houses and walls are built of red bricks. Red rust eats away at the fences and tin roofs. And all the streets, sidewalks, railings, and windows are stained by streaks of dry red clay. Through the ruby haze, the dirt streets of Kigali look ethereal. Like a dream, except still missing Scarlett Johansson.

1800 The sun sets quickly and it’s gloomy by the time I reach my front door. As I fiddle with the lock the doorknob falls off. Half the light bulbs in my house need replacing. I don’t know if we’ll have hot water until I turn on the tap. An army of ants, beetles, bees, and mosquitoes is constantly trying to invade my bedroom. And we’re liable to lose power without warning once or twice a week. Adventure has its price, but I’m happy to pay it.
As I lean down to pick the doorknob up off the mat, I notice that I’m standing in chicken poop.
You know, I really think she does it on purpose. I hate that stupid chicken.