Reflecting on ECOSOC Youth Forum - Day 2 (Maham Kaleem)




UNA-Canada was at ECOSOC YOUTH FORUM 2019 and this is the second blog of a series covering the Conference.




Follow us: @UNACanada 


I have always believed that in life, we get put in positions that either challenge us or empower us. A secret that I have come to learn however, is that you need both in order to truly grow. Being at the 2019 ECOSOC conference was an experience that made me understand the value of going through such experiences.

Life is far too complex for the way things end up falling into place, and it is for that reason precisely that I believe in the divinity of our experiences. In this blog, I was going to talk to you about the workshops I went to, people I met, topics on which I spoke – but instead, I will talk more about how I felt. Emotion is a very strong theme because it can be related to each person, no matter what gender, race, or class.  

I went into this conference with an open mind and an open heart, ready to listen to people speaking truth to power. I listened the voices of women shaking with rage, as I heard about the kidnappings that were happening in refugee camps in Mahama, Rwanda. I heard the pride in the hearts of citizens that spoke about workshops that were being built for women who code in Kenya. I saw the vision that was being portrayed to me as members of UNICEF and UN Habitat told me about building city infrastructure focused on children and youth to be a part of the planning strategy.

But most importantly, I felt it.

I felt the power in every single room I went into, as I was in the heart of our global community. It did not matter where we all had come from, but rather that we were all here, with a mission towards progression. Aligned with the theme of progression are the 17 key areas that were centred around each workshop: the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. One of the best things about the 2030 SDG goals that the United Nations is advocating for is that they represent much more than quotas that need to be met, but rather, they represent the pillars of life. Each goal is interlinked with another, just like each member of community builds bridges with their neighbour.


In order to live in a world that is thriving and green, we need to shift back towards empathy-based policies. We need to think beyond political ideologies and look towards community building and state relationships. Only then, will the world become more sustainable.

As youth, we often have the habit of doubting ourselves as we fall prey to the notion that lack of experience always means lack of knowledge. What was truly rewarding to see during ECOSOC 2019 however, was that we were being given the opportunity to speak from our lived experiences – adding a layer of depth to the conversation as policies are much more than just technical documents with no emotional affects.

I came out of this experience, with my back a little straighter, my heart a little warmer, and my head held high. I have always believed that in order to be successful in life, you must feel the dirt ground beneath your feet as you shift your gaze towards the sky. It is a reminder to always be humbled by our beginnings while simultaneously looking up towards the vastness of life we are surrounded by.

Only difference this time however, was that as I looked up towards the night sky on my walk back to the hotel, I did not just see the vastness of life. I saw the stars, singing to me a song only I could interpret. And so I hummed along, mimicking the tune that the world made for me, using my voice for good.


Earlier in this blog I mentioned my belief in the divinity of things, and I will close with just that. Life is far too complex for the way things simply end up falling into place. My time at ECOSOC was no different: there was a grand wisdom that allowed me to come here – and for that, I am humbled and am grateful, but most importantly, I am ready to serve the world back.

Asalam-o-alaikum.
May Peace Be With You.

Maham Kaleem



Comments