Reflecting on ECOSOC Youth Forum - Day 3 (Bao-Vy Nguyen)

UNA-Canada was at ECOSOC YOUTH FORUM 2019 and this is the third blog of a series covering the Conference. 

Follow us: @UNACanada 


This whole experience was more about the people than the event itself. I walked through those closing doors only to realize that we were all chasing the same goals, for a better and sustainable future. The United Nations headquarters in New York was such a grand building, I could not help but feel small at times. You can easily hear footsteps echoing between those walls, yet our voices and ideas were still waiting to be heard. I remember looking up at the ceiling, wondering if I was in the right spot. Ironically, it is within those bittersweet moments that my will to create a platform, one representative of youth, became stronger.

The last few days at the ECOSOC Youth Forum were humbling. I met with people from all walks of life: from engaging youth, driven entrepreneurs to government representatives. That diversity is needed to remind us that in order to reach our Sustainable Development Goals, we must all work hand in hand together to create change.


The best conversations I had during the forum turned out to be the most unexpected ones. I made friends with people from all sides of the globe. Though our encounters were brief, they were all meaningful and enlightening. We discussed climate action, youth engagement and the current political climate of our countries. It was intriguing to listen and to witness these stories from so many different perspectives. These types of exchanges are so important. My main takeaway from these dialogues is that you learn so much more from being a listener and observer, than solely being a speaker. Look forward to understanding others as a way to learn about yourself and the environment you are in.

Being part of this delegation has had to be one of the most memorable chapters of my life. I will have to credit my team for that.  Jordan, Maham, and Adil are some of the most humble and brightest people I have met. To have them as friends, supporters and mentors is a privilege. This whole experience would have not been the same without them. "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." I believe this quote by Maya Angelou fully express how I felt this past week. They inspired me to be a better person for my community. I am more than excited to share my experiences and resources back home.

Our youth have so much potential, yet not all have access to the right resources or opportunities to help them reach their goals. This in itself creates different forms of inequality and barriers. Civic engagement can be a farfetched concept for some of us. However, we need these youth the most so we can understand our biggest challenges. We need to not only include them in decisional-making spaces but let them be the actors of change. They are, in the end, the expert of their own realities. It is time that we acknowledge that youth is not only our future. They are the present and that future is closer than we tend to believe.

I do not hope to be the voice of youth, but a sister that can help other youth to share their voices. Youth are complex. We are a diverse population. We all come from different backgrounds and paths. We have different interests and needs. I believe it is much more important to focus on ways that will allow youth to speak up for themselves, to train them to pitch their own ideas and to vocalize their needs. For many, civic engagement is not attainable. Yet, we need these people the most to understand our biggest challenges, to find the most adaptable solutions. I wish to encourage those around me to not fear any forms of engagement.  You matter, and your voice is needed more than ever.

I want leaders and decision makers to understand that representing youth is not enough, speaking on our behalf is not enough.  We crave connection, understanding, and inclusion. It is through informal moments and genuine interactions that you will reach us. After all, we are humans fighting our own battles and making the best of what we have to contribute to our communities.


Comments